Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia


Angel Star:
Seventeen-year-old Teagan McNeel falls for captivating Garreth Adams and soon discovers that her crush has an eight-point star etched into the palm of his right hand-the mark of an angel.

But where there is light, dark follows, and she and Garreth suddenly find themselves vulnerable to a dark angel's malicious plan that could threaten not only her life, but the lives of everyone she knows, and now, she is torn between one angel's sacrifice and another angel's vicious ambition.

Divinely woven together, Angel Star takes readers on a reflective journey when one angel's sacrifice collides with another angel's vicious ambition in a way that is sure to have readers searching for their own willpower.



Jennifer Murgia wrote a beautiful story about faith and love. I enjoyed her conception of Angel mythology, and the brief history she gives us of the fall of Lucifer. The book is ultimately about light versus dark. Good versus evil. Truth versus facade. And in a well written fashion Jennifer gives us a story that is engaging and flowed seamlessly between the mythology and the romance between Teagan and Garreth. When Teagan's best friend changes drastically she unwittingly becomes involved in a battle to save the Guardian Angels from the corruption of Hadrian, a Guardian who has fallen and follows the path of evil. And Garreth, Teagan's Guardian goes against everything he has ever known to become human, making himself venerable, in order to warn Teagan. The love Garreth feels for Teagan is different than what a Guardian normally feels for his charge and this is what really gets this story started.

What I had trouble with, was the rushed feeling I was left with after Garreth reveals himself to Teagan. She simply accepts everything she is told without question--I guess you could call that faith, and faith is a very good thing--but I found her character hard to relate to because of her willingness to brush aside everything she has previously believed about her life. The mystery of her father's disappearance from her life, I felt was a little flat, I felt it could have been more thoroughly explored. Hadrian appeals to the darkness with in Teagan, and even though she chooses Garreth and the light, she still feels that connection with Hadrian. There is no resolution between Teagan and Hadrian in Angel Star so I am hoping in the sequel, Lemniscate, Teagan confronts those feelings and deals with them rather than just burying them and hiding them from herself and Garreth.

In the end, I really did enjoy the book and I hope that you'll give it a chance too!





2 comments:

  1. I had some of the same feelings you did. Some of the time I felt like I didn't know whats going on because of the pacing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book would bug me more then anything. Same name. (basically I have been called Teagan pleanty of times.)

    Also if Teagan has so much faith that she doesnt question the gardian angel. well that would drive me bonkers. Thats one thing I love about Fallen is that Luce always is questioning this undeniable feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.