Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley {DNF}


Ghostgirl:
Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

And if I should die before I awake,

I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.



Unfortunately I could not finish this book by Tonya Hurley. The premise sounded intriguing and the book is lovely to look at, but it just totally creeped me out...and not in a good way. First off, I found the story very slow, and Charlotte is very stalker-esque in the sense that she STEAMED OPEN HER CRUSH'S CLASS SCHEDULE just so she could attend the same classes as him! I understand how it feels to be invisible to the "popular" kids, but the methods Charlotte goes to and the frame of mind she seems to constantly be in bothered me. What crossed the line for me and made me put this book down happened just after the book finally began to pick up; Charlotte is dead, so she takes this as an open invitation to become "closer" to her crush. She even goes so far as to follow him into the boys' locker room, becoming nothing less than a creepy Peeping Tom-ette.






2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like this one. Its description and the cover art make it seem intriguing but it sounds very creepy! watching someone as they get changed is definitely not cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the whole set at home, sitting prettily on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. It does sound kinda stalkerish LOL

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.