Friday, July 26, 2013

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Dark Lover:
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate - Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead - a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


What a great introduction into a new series (for me)!  Why-oh-why have I waited so long to start reading these books? J.R. Ward created a dangerous and intricate world where vampires are a race born of this Earth of both good and evil, with a god-like figure and a devil-like one. I was hoping for a new, completely unique paranormal experience, but I did often find myself comparing this book to another wildly popular adult vampire series. But despite that, I enjoyed this from the first page to the very last. The action, tension and danger kept me on the edge of my seat while the searing heat between Beth and Wrath kept my heart pumping. I was just as attached to the secondary characters as I was to the main hero and heroine, and I’m definitely looking forward to more of them.

Beth has lived her life alone, moving from foster home to foster home with no real roots. She likes men, but just can’t seem to find one she wants to settle down with. But that all changes when a dark and mysterious, giant of a man appears in her home; telling her that he is there to protect her. Her entire life is changed in an instant, and she learns of her origins. She’s not just an ordinary human, she’s part vampire as well and reaching the age of transitioning into a full-fledged vampire. Wrath is a warrior; his life is filled with battles and strategy. He doesn’t have time to deal with a female, but she is the daughter of his fellow brother in arms, and duty quickly changes into something more. Without Wrath’s help she might not survive, and she is pulled into his world as her transition comes closer. And the more time they spend together, the more they can’t live without one another.



1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite series. JR Ward really knows how to put action & romance in her books.:)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.