Thursday, June 6, 2013

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


Onyx is the second in the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, and similar to the first book it is filled to the brim with action. There is a lot going on in Onyx: mystery, danger and suspense which Jennifer ties it all together nicely, and with even more romantic tension I was consumed from start to finish. Daemon also had a much better attitude in this one, he was still his snarky self, just not as much of a douchebag, which made me fall for him even harder. Katy was her usual strong self, and when an opportunity to learn to protect herself is presented she jumps at the chance. She doesn't want to constantly be a weakness or liability to Daemon and Dee, she wants to be able to stand beside them in a fight as their equal, and this made me love her even more. The ending will leave readers desperate for more and tears in your eyes.

Since discovering Daemon and Dee are alien beings and surviving an Arum attack, things just keep getting more and more complicated in Katy's life. More and more questions are being asked about the relationship between Daemon and Katy; and if the truth is discovered about how Daemon healed her, creating a bond between them, it could be the end for everyone. Katy believes that their new bond is the only reason Daemon claims to feel anything for her, but he is out to prove that he cared for her even before the bond existed.  Strange things are happening around Katy, it seems that because of the healing she has taken on some of Daemon's powers. When a new student, Blake, arrives in their small town he immediately forms a connection with Katy despite the jealous tantrums from Daemon. But he is hiding a huge secret and it doesn't take long for Katy to discover that Blake is like her: he possesses Luxen powers. Blake explains how they were changed after being healed by a Luxen, and begins to train her to control her powers, but he is still keeping secrets. Katy quickly starts to distrust Blake, and with good reason once she discovers that Blake is connected to the Department of Defense. Shortly after this discovery, Katy is betrayed by someone close to her and her mother but she refuses to forsake her promise to Daemon and the other Luxen. Daemon comes to her rescue and the cost is--despite it's potential for terrible repercussions--one he is willing to pay in order to get her back. 




1 comment:

  1. There was a lot of action an suspense and I love the chemistry between Kat and Daemon but sometimes Kat bugged me. Why do all the heroines have to be stupid. Some of her decisions were questionable at best and at times I found my self yelling at my kindle... which doesn't happen often. She does has some redeeming qualities and I love daemon... smart mouth and all. The story was compelling enough to make me continue on and pick up the third book.

    Cath Brookes (Skagway Alaska)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.