Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


Jennifer L. Armentrout created a powerful beginning to the Lux series, with an interesting world where beings from another planet have come to Earth in order to survive; they are a peaceful race called the Lux. But like any great story there is, of course the villain, a darker race (the Arum) that followed the Lux to our planet. Jennifer brought her characters to life on these pages, and I was thoroughly drawn into the story. In the beginning Daemon was a real problem for me, his attitude and utter douchebaggery did nothing for me, he was constantly cruel and belittling to Katy, which I found completely unattractive. One thing that did melt my heart about him was his nickname for Katy: Kitten. He never used it in a derogatory way, in fact it showed his affection for her, even if it was hard to see sometimes. I loved Katy's character though, despite finding herself attracted to Daemon's good looks, she uses her head and refuses to give into his so-called "charm." When Daemon steps in to save her life though, we see a definite change to their relationship, and although was not perfect, it was a beginning. Jennifer's vivid story-telling, non-stop action and tension filled every page and sparks practically flew off the pages, making it difficult for me to put this book down.

When Katy and her mother move to a small town to escape the memory of her father who died three years ago she finds more than she was expecting. Next door are the Blacks, Dee and Daemon. Twins that are completely gorgeous and a little strange. After Daemon saves Katy from a bear (which she has no memory of how they escaped), strange things start happening to her. Her life is turned completely upside down when she discovers the truth about Daemon and his sister being aliens. Suddenly danger surrounds her and in order to protect not only herself but Daemon and the other Luxen, she must keep their secret no matter what. An Arum tracks her down and to save her friend Dee, she becomes the bait and leads their enemy away, and Daemon is almost too late to save Katy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.