Friday, March 1, 2013

Freedom to Read Week with My Friend Kelly




As I sit here and write this, I keep imagining what my life would be like without books and I can't even begin to fathom it. Some of my earliest memories revolve around books. All through my childhood years, I was read to and also read books on my own. Weekly trips to the library or frequent trips to the bookstore were always welcome. To this day, I could spend hours wandering around either of those places and be perfectly content - my bookshelves are proof of this.

It means so much to me to be able to have the freedom to pick up any book I wish to and get lost in it - all the books I have read have taught me something, let me explore places I've dreamed of going to, or simply allowed me to get lost in the story and dream of the infinite possibilities that there are out there.

If that freedom to read is taken away, people are denied the opportunity to learn, grow and enjoy the simple pleasures that reading can bring. If we don't have books, what are we left with?

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.