Saturday, March 10, 2012

Nightingale by David Farland


Nightingale:
Bron Jones was abandoned as a newborn. Thrown into foster care, he is rejected by one family after another, until he meets Olivia, a gifted and devoted high-school teacher who recognizes him for what he really is -- what her people call a "nightingale."

But Bron isn't ready to learn the truth. There are secrets that have been hidden from mankind for hundreds of thousands of years, secrets that should remain hidden. Some things are too dangerous to know.

Bron's secrets may be the most dangerous of all.



David Farland created an all around interesting book, from the interactive pop-ups to the graphic novel-type chapter introductions. I normally steer away from eBooks due to the fact that I don't have an eReader, and reading on my computer can cause me migraines; but this book intrigued me so much that I just had to try it. After a few of the pop-ups I found myself ignoring them because they didn't really add anything to the story for me, but I did enjoy the music and images. A little science fiction mixed with teenage angst and David's descriptive storytelling creates vivid imagery that brings this story to life. There is plenty of action to keep you turning pages, but I did find the story a little slow paced for my liking. Bron proves himself to be a strong character with morals he truly believes in. He could take the easy way out but he chooses to fight against the evil that is planning to take over the world. The ending leaves you with more questions rather than answers, drawing you into the next of the series: Dream Assassin.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.