Friday, March 9, 2012

Fairy Metal Thunder by J.L. Bryan


Fairy Metal Thunder:
Jason plays guitar in a teenage garage band called the Assorted Zebras, but they have no fans and no gigs, and they're going nowhere. Even worse, Jason has a crush on the lead singer, but she already has a near-perfect boyfriend.

One night, Jason steals enchanted instruments from the fairy world. Suddenly (with a little help from YouTube) every kid in the Midwest is crazy about the Assorted Zebras.

The fairy instruments drive the crowds wild, but the new gear is brimming with dangerous and destructive magic. The band struggles to gain control of their instruments and avoid the supernatural bounty hunters sent by Queen Mab of Faerie to track them down, all while trying to finally land their first gig.



Fairy Metal Thunder is an incredible and strong introduction to J.L. Bryan's Songs of Magic series. What grabbed me and pulled me in was the mix of faerie lore combined with Bryan's unique vision. The characters were down-to-earth and honest. There are twists and turns that I wasn't expecting, keeping me turning page after page. The quick pace of the story makes this an easy and enjoyable read, I hope in the next book: Fairy Blues, we get to see more of the fairy world. There is more than just the surface story to this book, there are underlying problems within the fairy world, and Jason has stumbled into them by taking the enchanted instruments and gaining popularity for the band. Now he and his friends are in danger, a goblin is living under Jason's bed hiding from Queen Mab and stardom may be just a little more than the Assorted Zebras can handle.





1 comment:

  1. I really liked this story. It's a modern twist on the fairytale and it has the true, dark fairytale creatures. I got sucked into the story and couldn't wait to see what happened next. I felt for poor Jason, but I have a feeling that his luck will improve in the next story or two. I definitely will be buying the next books. I think this is a story that anyone would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.