Saturday, October 23, 2010

On My Wishlist (22)


On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where we list all the books we desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too - Mr Linky is always at the ready for you to link your own 'On My Wishlist' post. If you want to know more click here.



Everlasting by Angie Frazier:
Sailing aboard her father’s trade ship is all seventeen-year-old Camille Rowen has ever wanted. But as a girl of society in 1855 San Francisco, her future is set: marry a man she doesn’t love, or condemn herself and her father to poverty.

On her final voyage before the wedding, the stormy arms of the Tasman Sea claim her father, and a terrible family secret is revealed. A secret intertwined with a fabled map, the mother Camille has long believed dead, and an ancient stone that wields a dangerous—and alluring—magic.

The only person Camille can depend on is Oscar, a handsome young sailor whom she is undeniably drawn to. Torn between trusting her instincts and keeping her promises to her father, Camille embarks on a perilous quest into the Australian wilderness to find the enchanted stone. As she and Oscar elude murderous bushrangers and unravel Camille’s father’s lies, they come closer to making the ultimate decision of who—and what—matters most.





Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley:
Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

And if I should die before I awake,

I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.





Don’t Die, Dragonfly by Linda Joy Singleton:
After getting kicked out of school and sent to live with her grandmother, Sabine Rose is determined to become a "normal" teenage girl. She hides her psychic powers from everyone, even from her grandmother Nona, who also has "the gift."
Having a job at the school newspaper and friends like Penny Love, a popular cheerleader, have helped Sabine fit in at her new school. She has even managed to catch the eye of the adorable Josh DeMarco.
Yet, Sabine can't seem to get the bossy voice of Opal, her spirit guide, out of her head... or the disturbing images of a girl with a dragonfly tattoo. Suspected of a crime she didn't commit, Sabine must find the strength to defend herself and, later, save a friend from certain danger.







5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Ghostgirl. It's very different, quirky and fun. Everlasting has such a beautiful cover. Great picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all 3 are great picks Amy, they all have a common theme but the one that draws me back to stare at the cover and re-read the blurb over and over is "Everlasting"! I have not read or heard of Frazier's book(s) before but love stories like this one so have added it to my wishing to read list....

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier, did you check out my Guest Post with Author Maria Zannini... My FIRST Guest post so you gotta come say Hi!


    jackie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I want to read Everlasting as well :) Hope you get to read these soon! Here's my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa Everlasting by Angie Frazier sounds so good! I love the combination of historical + paranormal, romance!
    And I like the title" Don't die Dragonfly", really!
    Thanks for this great wishlist, hope you'll get them soon;)

    If you like to check out my wishlist: http://misspageturnerscityofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/10/on-my-wishlist-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everlasting has to go on my wishlist.

    Here's what I'm wishing for this week.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.