Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sundays with Sarah (3)

To find out more about Sarah and this feature go here.


Hi everyone, well last week I wasn’t able to post anything as I was out of town. So this week I have a special treat for you. One of the biggest inspirations I use to help me write my scripts and books is my love for gourmet food. Cooking at home is becoming a lost art, and with the wave of fast food restaurants and the convenience of eating out, people don’t really cook at home anymore. Well I am going to share for you some of my recipes with you that I make when hosting social parties at home. Feel free to try these recipes out and leave your comments.




Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce



Ingredients:

2 cups Jack Daniel's Black Label or Bourbon


1 cup puréed peaches (not canned)
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
2 tablespoons dark molasses

1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)



1) Pour 1 cup of whiskey/bourbon into a saucepan and set aside the remaining whiskey. Bring to a light boil and reduce the liquid to about 2 tablespoons. Don't let the alcohol flame.


2) Add 1 cup of the whiskey and the other ingredients in saucepan. Add more honey for thickness. Simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes stirring frequently and reduce it by about 1/3. Use it immediately or bottle it and keep it in the refrigerator for a month or more. Drink the remaining whiskey. When ready to use baste over steaks or pork when BBQing and enjoy.


Sarah’s Traditional Holiday Wifsaver



Ingredients:

Approx. 16 slices of Bread (white, or brown whole wheat work best) – amount needed will vary on size of baking dish used.


6 eggs

4 tsp Tobasco sauce

2 tbsp Worcester Sauce

Cooked Ham or bacon (1 lbs) - diced

Cheese (cheddar or mozza, other cheeses work too)

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 minced white onion

3 cups whole milk (2%)

1/2 lb butter (Not margarine)

Corn flakes or Special K cereal

Preparation – Night before serving


In a 9x12 buttered baking dish...

  • Butter your cooking pan to prevent sticking. Do not use spray on for non stick.
  • Put slices of bread to cover bottom - remove crusts. Use smaller pieces to fill in gaps/holes not covered by bread.
  • Place cooked ham or bacon on bread. Make sure bacon is not crunchy but cooked. Can chop bacon as well. Strain grease and fat from bacon before laying on bread.
  • Lay slices of your favorite cheese on top of bacon or ham. Do not use feta. Makes dish too salty nor does it melt.
  • Cover with remaining bread and repeat process of placing smaller pieces to fill in gaps and holes to make a solid top.
  • In bowl, beat eggs, salt, pepper, dry mustard, onion, cinnamon, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco completely. Do not froth eggs.
  • Pour sauce over sandwich, let stand in fridge over night. In the morning strain rest of liquid mixture if there is an excess.

* If making dish in morning, let dish sit in fridge for min of 6 hours *

Preparation - Day (Morning)

  • Crush up corn flakes or Special K cereal and spread over top of sandwich.
  • Melt butter and lightly pour over top of cereal evenly. If not coated completely , melt more butter
  • Bake for 1 hour at 350F (in middle of oven), check periodically to prevent blackening or burning to bottom of pan. Reduce heat to 325F if needed.
  • Topping will bubble in some places. Pop with fork.
  • Let it cool for 15 min before serving
  • Serve with fruit or yogurt.



I will be adding 1 new recipe with my posts each week in addition to my posts.



I leave you now with another poem from my book “Lost In Darkness”, (which can be purchased here)



“Reflection”



I sit here on this bench, my quiet spot,

staring into the world and what it’s got,

See, I've been hiding out in a dark cave,

and all this time avoiding my grave,



did you know that I once was shy,

didn't want anyone or to give it a try,

my world where I hid from you,

because I was always blue,



Stuck as a child in a world of hate,

trying to heal my mental state,

but as a little girl I was afraid,

so I sat here on my bench and prayed,



Growing up can be very hard,

especially when your life was scarred,

and when your young you never know,

that in the darkness you can still grow,



But sitting here reflection in silence,

of the choices before me on this fence,

many roads that I can take,

but still hoping I don't make a mistake,



How can I trust those who had shut me out,

swallowed by shadow that made me doubt,

that in a world that left me to die,

I sit and always wonder why,



And when I grow up and leave my time behind,

I know that one day love I will find,

its harder when one lives in darkness,

because your whole world is a mess,



But I wish I had a place to call home,

so I can stop being alone,

I wish I had friends to be with,

but I believe friendship is a myth,



I'm tired of being left on a fence,

deciding what to do makes me so tense,

Part of me wants to stay a little girl forever,

the other part of me hopes that I never,



I know that one day I will stumble and fall,

but the world around me is a crumbling wall,

falling down around me as I try to hide,

from what I had lost I solemnly cried,



I'm afraid to let go of my past so dark,

it’s all I have known for it left its mark,

why am I now so very frightened,

my heart races fast and is tightened,



The world before me which is now at my feet,

where food is scarce to find something to eat,

but I know one day god will save me so,

and give me a home, to heaven I go.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.