1. When did you first start writing, and was there something in particular that inspired you?
I was five. I wrote (and illustrated) a story about a class field trip to the zoo. I literally don’t remember a time I wasn’t writing (except a total hiatus for a few years after college, to try out the “real world”) so I can’t really point to a particular inspiration. I’ve just always been writing.
2. What first attracted you to the paranormal/urban fantasy realm when it comes to writing?
I write the kind of stuff I like to read. The fantastic. My real life is boring. My fiction shouldn’t be. ;)
3. In regards to your own characters, who is your favorite and why?
I like Faythe. I know a lot of readers aren’t fond of her, but I like her. I wouldn’t have written six books about her if I wasn’t. I like that she fights ceaselessly. I loved Ethan. And Jace. In Soul Screamers, I think Tod and Sabine are the most fun to write, but I’m starting to really admire Kaylee.
4. What other genres (besides your own) do you enjoy reading?
I’ve been really into contemporary YA lately…
5. If you could not be a writer, what would you be?
I’d probably still be a high school English teacher. But honestly, I like writing better. Ninth graders kind of glaze over when you try to teach grammar.
6. As a reader I know how difficult it can be to name a ‘favorite’ book, would you mind listing your top three? (Past or present authors)
The Stand. Swan Song. I haven’t narrowed it down any further than that. I’ve loved lots of books, but these are the two I’ve reread multiple times.
7. What are some must haves when you sit down to write?
Coffee. I’ve started mentally associating it with the creative process, evidently. Pavlov’s writer.
8. If you became trapped as a character in a book or series, which would you choose and why? (Any book, any series, new or old)
Oooh, that’s tough. I like to read about people overcoming serious problems, but I don’t think I’d want to actually experience any of those problems. I like being an observer. ;)
Rachel has kindly offered a copy of My Soul To Steal to one lucky commenter! Simply leave Rachel a question or a comment, she will be popping in periodically throughout the giveaway.
Here are the rules:
- Open to International addresses.
- Contest closes February 22, 2011 12AM EST.
- Leave a comment or question in the comments section and then fill out the form below to enter.