Saturday, February 26, 2011

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens


Heavenly:
I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.



Jennifer Laurens wrote an incredible story that deals with some pretty harsh subject matter; from addictions to living with an autistic child. This book was an emotional roller coaster and I enjoyed every minute of it. In fact I stayed up all night to finish it! Jennifer's writing kept me turning pages, with a fast paced plot and a bittersweet ending, this book is one that will stay in my memory for a long while.

Zoe is a strong, independent young woman and many times she puts her family's wishes above her own, showing her soul deep love for them. In the beginning, I had trouble getting through Zoe's selfish inner dialogue, but that soon began to change after she met Matthias and began to see the world around her is much larger than she believed. Caring for an autistic sister, Abria, has made Zoe bitter about her life, no matter how much she loves her sister, she dreams of having an easier life. Then a stranger appears when Abria goes missing bringing her back to Zoe. At first Zoe is skeptical of Matthias' reasons for being around her sister, until she looks deep within her heart and believes he is who he says he is, a guardian angel. Things start changing quickly for Zoe and her family. She is more conscious of the stress her parents are under, and finding out just how bad her brothers addiction has become is devastating. Zoe matures as she takes on more responsibility and her relationship with Matthias grows from friendship to romantic involvement. When the truth comes out about her drinking, Zoe feels a weight has been lifted from her shoulders because she can finally tell her parents the truth about her feelings -- how living with Abria sometimes makes her feel ignored and unappreciated. The family dynamics take on a huge change as they rebuild their trust in one another. An incident at a party has a life changing effect on Zoe and Matthias, quickly followed by an event even more devastating for her family.






5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the insightful review! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done, you tugged on the heartstrings and allowed us just enough of a glimpse into the book without ruining the story... Thanks Amy, even though it is too intense for me it sounds like a wonderful read....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too, I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read it but in my opinion this kind of book I don't like because it's so sad and I don't know...=(
    http://mydiariesblogrose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so much on these books, must read them asap!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.