Monday, April 7, 2014

The 100 by Kass Morgan

The 100:
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.



I have to admit that I watched the pilot episode of the T.V. show on CW before I even knew anything about the synopsis, and it sparked my interest enough to read the book.  The concept of The 100 by Kass Morgan was engaging and I found myself pulled right into the pages. The 100 was a complex read and it almost feels like there are eight different stories within this book. Kass focuses on four characters: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy and Glass, jumping (but easily distinguishable) from one point of view to another detailing both their present and their past. That was, in part, what made this book so interesting to me, each chapter contained a little bit about their current situation and a little bit about what brought them to be where they are. The characters were also intriguing and definitely what truly drove this story, there was a hint of romance woven throughout the pages and the beginnings of a love triangle, but for (most of) these juvenile delinquents survival is most important. It was easy to visualize the Earth as Kass envisioned it even though the scenery plays such a small part in the story as a whole.

And AHHHHH! The cliffhanger! The next book: Day 21 cannot come fast enough.



1 comment:

  1. Most of these kinds of books (Hunger Games included) remind me of Battle Royale...the book, not necessarily a movie (although the first movie is a cult classic for a reason). I suppose I shouldn't AVOID these kinds of novels, but I didn't think the Hunger Games was well written, and unlike Harry Potter, it didn't have a thoroughly engrossing world that took me away from the fact...that it wasn't well written. I've avoided most dystopian future novels ever since.

    Read Battle Royale, though, and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.