Saturday, February 12, 2011

On My Wishlist (38)


On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where we list all the books we desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too - Mr Linky is always at the ready for you to link your own 'On My Wishlist' post. If you want to know more click here.




Little Brother by Cory Doctorow:
Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.




Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton:
For Nick Pardee and Silla Kennicot, the cemetery is the center of everything.

Nick is a city boy angry at being forced to move back to the nowhere town of Yaleylah, Missouri where he grew up. He can’t help remembering his mom and the blood magic she practiced – memories he’s tried for five years to escape. Silla, though, doesn’t want to forget; her parents’ apparent murder-suicide left her numb and needing answers. When a book of magic spells in her dad’s handwriting appears on her doorstep, she sees her chance to unravel the mystery of their deaths.

Together they plunge into the world of dark magic, but when a hundred-year-old blood witch comes hunting for the bones of Silla’s parents and the spell book, Nick and Silla will have to let go of everything they believe about who they are, the nature of life and death, and the deadly secrets that hide in blood.




Delirium by Lauren Oliver:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.







7 comments:

  1. Delirium looks good! I've heard such mixed reviews on it. I'm anxious to see what you think of it if you read it. :)

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature
    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delirium was good! Hope you get to read these soon.

    Here's what I've got on my wishlist this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I want Delirium too, everyone keeps saying so many good things!

    here's mine
    http://paranormallyromanced.blogspot.com/2011/02/on-my-wishlist3_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late posting my wishes because I'm slammed with research for a paper. These wishes are from January. Come see what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to read Delirium - Blood Magic looks terrific too.

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I broke down and bought Delirium last week! Just couldn't wait! I have Blood Magic on my to-read list as well. :)

    http://readerbee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.