Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Thing About Weres by Leigh Evans

The Thing About Weres:
THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER

In the never-ending saga that is my love-hate relationship with Robson Trowbridge, I, half-Were Hedi Peacock, have had a change of heart. Ever since I shoved Trowbridge through the Gates of Merenwyn, I’ve been the leader of the pack—hard to believe, right? The thing is: I’m half-Fae. So even though my Were side is ready to heed the call of the wild, the other part of me is desperate to take flight. And much as it pains me to admit it, life without Trowbridge is really starting to were me down…

I AM WERE, HEAR ME ROAR.

To make matters worse, the wolves of Creemore want my blood—and the North American Council of Weres wants me dead. So I’m just counting the days until Trowbridge returns from the other realm…and comes to my brave rescue…and becomes my alpha mate. Wishful thinking? Of course it is. But given all the mess I’ve been through already, what’s the harm in doing a little bit of daisy-plucking? Besides, Trowbridge owes me big-time. A girl can dream.


The Thing About Weres by Leigh Evans is second in the Mystwalker series and definitely even more action packed than the first. I will warn you though; you NEED to read The Thing About Fate before picking this one up. Evans was brilliant and had me constantly guessing what would happen next, and each new twist was something I never saw coming. This was a page-turner from start to finish, and despite frustrating me at times…because I wanted to see something happen when in fact the exact opposite would occur (which honestly made the book even better)…just like the first, this book was un-put-downable! We see more of Heidi’s Mystwalker side and a lot more of the world of Therall: a place where Mystwalkers go to protect the souls of the fae. Once Heidi puts aside her “woe-is-me” attitude, she really becomes an alpha in her own right, and she’s definitely a character I want to see more of. There were times though, that I found her inner dialogue to be a little distracting, she would suddenly go off into a memory with little notice, and although it usually pertained to the situation, it would go on for longer than it needed to.

Unable to open the Gates to Merenwyn on her own, Heidi is forced to wait, six months have passed since she pushed Robson into the faerie realm, and acting as Alpha-by-Proxy is not making the Pack give her the respect she is due as his mate. So much so that someone informed on her and now the Council of Weres has deemed her a traitor. Waiting to die at the hands of her pack is not at all what Heidi imagined when she saved her mates life, and just as the deathblow is to land the portal is opened and Robson appears to save the day. But it is not all sunshine and roses for the Alpha pair; nine years have passed for Robson. And he is not alone, with him he brings a small wolf and a strange man. Only the man is no stranger to Heidi, he is her brother, Lexi, stolen as a child by the fae on the night her parents were killed. But he is not the boy she knew. He has turned into a dark and dangerous person in order to survive Merenwyn. The small wolf carries Robson’s scent, and although she doesn’t want to believe it, Heidi thinks that he has found himself a proper mate. One that can change into her wolf when the moon calls. (This completely broke my heart). But it is soon discovered that she is Lexi’s daughter and she carries no scent of her own because she is part fae. Learning that her brother will soon die if he doesn’t return to Merenwyn almost destroys Heidi’s relationship with Robson, and her only chance is to make a deal with the Old Mage who resides in Therall. But this deal could cost more than Heidi is willing to pay, and she can only hope that Robson will stand behind her and be the man she first fell for, the one she loves and trusts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.